Jets land on highway – level 2
Two Lockheed Martin F-35A fighter jets did something special – they landed on a highway. This could help them be safer during a war.
The planes belong to the Royal Norwegian Air Force and they landed in Tervo, Finland. They got fuel while their engines were running. This is called hotpit refuelling. Major General Rolf Folland, the leader of the Royal Norwegian Air Force, said that fighter jets are not safe when they are on the ground. So, using small airfields and now motorways makes them safer during a war.
Finland is close to Russia and the two countries share a long border. Finland is newly part of NATO and it wants to buy 64 F-35 fighter jets.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What other options exist for fighter jets to refuel while keeping them safe from potential threats in a war situation?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.