Jules Bianchi dies – level 3
Formula One stars and fans gathered at a cathedral in Nice to pay a final tribute to the French Formula One driver Jules Bianchi who died on Saturday. He was 25 years old. Bianchi died at a hospital in Nice from critical head injuries sustained at last year’s Japanese Grand Prix.
He had been in a coma since the accident in October when he crashed into a recovery vehicle at 126 kilometres per hour. He passed away at a hospital in Nice near his parents’ home in the South of France. Many Formula One stars, including Sebastian Grosjean, Alain Prost, as well as the International Automobile Federation President, made the trip to attend the ceremony.
Hundreds of fans gathered outside the church and applauded the late driver as pallbearers carried his coffin inside.
The Bianchi family said the pain they feel is immense and indescribable, adding that Jules fought to the very end.
Difficult words: pay tribute (to show respect), sustain (to get), recovery vehicle (a truck which can lift and move cars), pass away (to die), gather (to come together), late (dead), pallbearer (a person who carries a coffin at a funeral), immense (great), indescribable (so terrible or so great that you cannot describe it).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.