Karate Against Rape – level 3
Myanmar’s long-running ethnic war has seen many people killed, displaced and raped. Rape is something that the Myanmar Army has been using as a weapon in its conflicts with ethnic armies, although it consistently denies this.
Fighting in remote Kachin State flared again in recent months, prompting renewed fears for the safety of the civilians there. To help protect women from rape, a community-based Kachin organisation arranged karate lessons at a camp for the internally displaced. The instructor drills the young students, who have lost their homes and families, every afternoon.
Difficult words: ethnic (a type of person from a specific place), deny (say something is not true), flare (become intense or violent), internally displaced (someone who is forced to flee his or her home but who remains within his or her country’s borders).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.