Kenya avocados – level 2
Farmers in Kenya started to grow avocados instead of corn. The reasons were weather changes and avocados make the farmers more money.
Sales of corn fell in Kenya, and farmers had to look for other crops to grow. Avocado was perfect because farmers can harvest it for eight months of the year, and its yields are better than corn.
In recent years, Kenya became the biggest producer of avocados in Africa. The country exports avocados to Europe, mainly to Spain and the Netherlands. Other big avocado markets for Kenya are in the Middle East and Egypt. In August, Kenya became the first African country to export fresh avocados also to China.
Difficult words: harvest (to pick crops or sell animals to eat), yields (the amount of products which a farmer or company produces), export (to send products to another country for sale).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos