Maccabi Games in Berlin – level 2
People hold the European Maccabi Games every four years and only Jews compete in them. People held the games in Vienna in 2011. This year, they hold them in Berlin. More than 2,500 Jews from 36 countries are at the games.
Nazi Germany was a country responsible for the Holocaust in which 6 million Jews died. More than 500,000 Jews lived in Germany before the war, but most of them fled or Nazis killed them. By the end of the war, only 30,000 Jews were left.
The Jewish population in Germany has revived since the end of the Cold War and there are now around 250,000.
Difficult words: compete (to try to win), flee (to leave quickly), revive (to start again).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the games?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos