Man above a river – level 3
A French tightrope walker has defied gravity by balancing 25 metres above the Seine River.
Denis Josselin crossed the 150 meter-long rope without a harness or safety net, but police boats were on hand in case he lost his balance.
This didn’t bother the acrobat though, as he’s found a way of overcoming his fear, saying he focuses on positive energy and positive thought, trying not to think about falling.
He even tempted fate by covering his eyes halfway through the walk, as Parisian crowds watched on and cheered.
Josselin, who has been performing for 28 years, claims to be the only tightrope walker to have walked above the Seine River, and this is the second time he’s done it.
Difficult words: defy (challenge), harness (safety rope), on hand (near), tempt fate (do something dangerous).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.