Mayan Panels – level 3
Archaeologists in Guatemala uncovered three ancient Mayan panels, which offer new insights into the mysterious civilisation. The pieces, understood to be 1,300 to 1,400 years old, were excavated at two archaeological sites in May 2015.
The co-director of the archaeological project of these panels gave scientists very detailed information about how a Mayan ruler becomes a king. This kind of information is often not explicated with as much detail in other texts.
The panels make up the most significant Mayan discovery since archaeologists uncovered a text containing the so-called ‘end date’ of the Mayan calendar at the same site in 2012. Some thought the calendar was a countdown to the apocalypse, which thankfully never took place.
Scientists moved the priceless artefacts to Guatemala City for further research.
Difficult words: ancient (very old), insight (understanding), excavate (to dig out), explicate (to explain an idea in detail), significant (great), priceless (so important that you cannot put a price on it), artefact (a thing which is historically important).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about these Mayan panels?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.