McDonald’s leaves Russia – level 3
McDonald’s first restaurant in Russia opened in the Middle of Moscow more than three decades ago, shortly after the fall of the Berlin Wall.
It was a powerful symbol of easing Cold War tensions between the US and Soviet Union, which collapsed in 1991.
Last week, the McDonald’s symbol, a logo in the form of two golden arches, was taken down at a restaurant near Moscow after the multinational burger chain sold its stores, and said that it would leave Russia. The company temporarily closed hundreds of locations in March, after Russia invaded Ukraine in February. The decision has cost McDonald’s about $55 million per month, and the company decided to sell all its sites to a local buyer. The company said that one of its priorities was to ensure that its 62,000 employees in Russia would get paid until the sale was completed and they had future employment with any potential buyer.
Alexander Gavor, and existing McDonald’s licensee, operates 25 restaurants in Siberia, and he has bought McDonald’s 850 Russian restaurants. He agreed to operate them under a new name.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.