Migrants on Kos – level 1
Some people are not happy in their countries. There is war or poverty in their countries. They want to go to Europe.
There are hundreds of migrants on Kos. Kos is a Greek island.
The migrants are at a stadium. They have no food at the stadium. There is also no protection from the sun. The migrants fight with the police. We do not know why they start fighting.
The migrants must register to go to new countries. However, they say that this takes too long.
Difficult words: poverty (there is poverty if people are poor – they have no money), migrant (a person who is moving from one country to another), register (to get an official paper).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about immigration?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.