Migrants on Kos – level 2
Some people want to immigrate to the European Union. Many of them flee war zones and poverty. There are hundreds of migrants on the Greek island of Kos. They are held at a sports stadium.
A police officer on the island brandished a knife last week and slapped a Pakistani migrant. Authorities suspended the officer.
One day after the incident, fights between the migrants and the police broke out. After the situation got back to normal, even more migrants came to the stadium where the fight happened. We do not know what started the fights.
The migrants need to register to go to new countries, but they say that the process is too slow. They also say that they have no food and no protection from the sun.
Difficult words: flee (to run away), brandish (to wave and threaten), suspend (to make somebody stop working for some time because he or she did something wrong).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about immigration?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.