Migrants Travel to the USA – level 2
At the southern border of Mexico, thousands of migrants came together on the 2,500-kilometre trip north to the US border. Many are running away from poverty, gang violence, and political instability in their countries.
Hundreds of migrants are riding on a cage truck going north. Cage trucks normally move animals, but now they also move people.
One father is travelling with his pregnant wife and their baby son from Honduras to try to get a better future because Honduras is not going to get better. Another migrant was happy to head north even if the journey was slow.
Difficult words: border (the line between countries), poverty (when you cannot get out of the situation of being poor), political instability (when the government in a country has a lot of problems).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos