Monkey steals money – level 3
An employee of a jewellery shop in India gave a piece of fruit to a seemingly friendly monkey sitting outside the shop door. However, shortly after, the primate pushed open the door and made itself at home.
It took a seat in an office chair, then suddenly opened a drawer and took out a bundle of notes. Seeing the robbery unfold, the desperate employee tried to offer the monkey a banana in exchange for the money, but the thief obviously had its sights set high and rejected the offer. It escaped into the street with about 10,000 rupees, which is about 150 US dollars.
Shop staff said that they had spotted the monkey hanging around before, and no doubt they will be more careful if it comes back again. The security camera of the animal robbery became viral.
Difficult words: primate (a scientific word for ‘monkey’), bundle (a group of things), unfold (happen), desperate (stressed, shocked), reject (turn down, say ‘no’), viral (very popular on the Internet).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What other measures can jewellery shops take to protect their products and money from theft by animals?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.