NASA Drills into an Asteroid – level 2
On Tuesday, NASA’s spacecraft drilled into an asteroid that was more than 160 million kilometers away from Earth.
It was a complicated operation which lasted five seconds. The operation was successful because the spacecraft collected a sample from the asteroid. Scientists all over the world were very excited because this happened for the first time in history. The spacecraft started its journey to the asteroid in 2016, and it moved around the asteroid for two years.
Asteroids are debris from the formation of the solar system 4.5 billion years ago. Scientists hope that when they study the sample, they will learn more about how life on Earth started.
Difficult words: sample (a small piece of something larger), debris (pieces of rock or broken things), formation (when something starts to exist).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos