Native Americans win in North Dakota – level 3
Native Americans are celebrating! The US Army will not allow an oil pipeline to go under a reservoir in North Dakota. The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe has been protesting it for months and finally the protesting paid off.
Some of the protesters came from Washington State to support these water protectors. One of the protesters says that it has lifted his heart. The protestors came in yesterday and they were expecting the worst, but they have heard the best news ever! This is the best news for native people, for the United States, for all people, all because water is so precious.
The Standing Rock Sioux tribe, together with climate activists, have been protesting against to the project since April. They say that the project could contaminate the water supply and damage sacred tribal lands. Thousands of people supported the protest and flocked to North Dakota.
Difficult words: tribe (group of people of the same origin), lift somebody´s heart (make someone happy), precious (of a special value), sacred (something related to God, something you should respect), flock (come together in a large grop).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.