New Zealand tobacco ban – level 2
New Zealand’s government introduced its plan to ban tobacco, and it wants to completely eliminate smoking in the future.
The plan says that it will not be possible to buy cigarettes in supermarkets or small businesses after the year 2027. The government hopes that young people will not smoke cigarettes at all.
The Maori population also has problems. They smoke much more than the rest of the people in the country, and they have more health problems related to smoking cigarettes. 13% of adults in New Zealand smoke; about 30% of the Maori people smoke. They have more problems because of this.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.