No rain and no food in Madagascar – level 2
Madagascar was a place with one of the richest biodiversity in the world, and for many people, it was a paradise. Then years without rain changed everything.
Southern Madagascar was green, and people grew crops there. Climate change brought little rain. At the same time, people cut down the trees, which stopped strong winds.
Now, there are no trees, and when people plant seeds, the wind blows them away. Therefore, people in southern Madagascar have no food, and more than a million of them need international help.
Scientists said that the area would become even drier. Madagascar could become the first country to experience famine as a result of climate change.
Difficult words: biodiversity (when many different plants and animals grow and live in one place), paradise (a place which is very nice, and everything is great there), famine (when many people have nothing to eat).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos