Panama Sends Politician Back – level 2
The ex-governor of a Mexican state fled to Panama as a fugitive to avoid corruption charges, and while there, he told the court that the charges were false.
Panama kept him in prison for six months until the government decided to send him back to Mexico.
He will go to trial for selling Mexico’s land at a much lower price than it was worth. He is the third ex-governor from the Mexican president’s party to receive corruption charges against him.
Difficult words: fugitive (a person who runs away from the police after he or she is charged of possibly doing something wrong), corruption charge (when the police say that a person did something illegal), party (a political group of people).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.