Passengers do not want to wear masks – level 3
As of 28 September, the US Federal Aviation Administration documented nearly 4,500 reports of unruly passengers and close to 3,300 mask-related incidents.
Airline passengers who behave badly is nothing new; however, in January, due to a disturbing increase in violent behavior on flights, the FAA enacted a no-tolerance policy for anyone who assaults, threatens or interferes with airline crew members. Travel after the pandemic is not the same, and rules like wearing a mask must be enforced on flights by federal law. However, this has been a real challenge for crew members. Although passengers sign an agreement that they will wear the masks, they don’t always want to do it.
As flight attendants have been attacked, they’re currently being taught effective self-defense for use on board. Consequences for unruly behavior have been upped with a fine of up to 37,000 dollars or criminal charges. The FAA already started 169 cases this year and levied more than 1 million dollars in fines.
Difficult words: enact (make law), up (to increase), levy (to impose a tax, fee or fine).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos