People save a whale in Argentina – level 2
In Argentina, a humpback whale beached itself and could not get back to deeper water. It stayed in this dangerous state for more than 24 hours. People tried to help the whale but it was difficult. The whale was 15 metres in length and it weighed over 10 tonnes.
People waited for the tide to rise, then tried to use a rope and finally used a hose to pull the whale into open waters.
The whale was able to swim away successfully. It looked like it waved back to the people as it swam.
Difficult words: beach (get stuck on a beach), tide (rising and falling of the level of the sea), hose (long plastic tube), open waters (wide and deep water).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos