Planes with drugs – level 1
People produce cocaine in Peru. They send the cocaine abroad. Small planes move it.
In 2014, they moved around 180 tonnes of cocaine. There are 600 drug flights a year.
The government of Peru wants to stop this. It makes a new law. Thanks to this law, the military can shoot down the planes.
However, the planes move more than drugs. Boats move the drugs, too. People take them on big planes, also.
Difficult words: government (the bosses of a country), law (something which says what people can or cannot do), military (soldiers).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this law?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos