Poison in Tea – level 3
On August 20, Russian opposition leader, Alexei Navalny, was poisoned, and it is suspected that he drank the poison in tea while he was flying back to Moscow, Russia, from Tomsk in Siberia.
The 44-year-old leader fell ill on the flight, which was diverted to Omsk in Russia, and Navalny was transferred to Berlin, Germany. He has been in coma since the poisoning, and doctors say that his condition is serious.
The German government has announced that Navalny´s poisoning was unequivocally caused by Novichok, which is an advanced nerve agent developed by the Soviet Union. It is the same nerve agent that British authorities identified in a 2018 attack on a former Russian spy. The German chancellor, Angela Merkel, is demanding Russia to provide an urgent explanation.
Supporters of the anti-corruption campaigner have accused the Russian president, Vladimir Putin, of the attack. However, Putin denies all allegations.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.