Poland’s Law – level 2
On Thursday, Poland’s top court decided that it was not legal to end a pregnancy if the baby had health problems in the mother’s body.
The court decided that it was only possible in case of rape, incest, or when the pregnancy was a risk to the mother’s life.
Poland is a highly religious country, and pro-life activists welcomed the court’s decision. They said that Poland was an example for all of the world. People who fight for women’s rights were not happy and they protested in the streets of Poland’s capital, Warsaw.
The court’s decision separates Poland from most of Europe because only two European countries have such strict abortion laws.
Difficult words: rape (sexual attack), incest (a sexual relationship between people from the same family), pro-life activist (a person who does not agree with ending a human life inside a woman’s body), abortion (when doctors end a pregnancy).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.