Pope apologizes to native peoples – level 3
In Canada, Pope Francis gave an official apology to the indigenous people for the abuse that happened in church residential schools from the 1800s to the 1990s.
He explained that in his “penitential pilgrimage”, he asked for forgiveness and stated his sincere apology that colonist Christians oppressed the indigenous peoples.
He admitted that with the government’s support, the Christians destroyed cultures, forced assimilation, and created the residential schools to control the indigenous peoples and their children. He repeated that with shame and no ambiguity, he asked for forgiveness for the acts of evil.
Difficult words: indigenous (the native people, plants, or things of a place), penitential pilgrimage (a religious trip to accept punishment and to ask for forgiveness), assimilation (the act to change a group of people to be like another group of people).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos