Prison Beauty Pageant – level 2
For one prison in Brazil, last Friday was a special day. The maximum-security prison for women hosted a beauty pageant for its inmates.
The prison selected ten inmates to take part in the contest. They styled their hair, put on dresses and walked around the catwalk. Around 400 people watched them, and some of them were their families
The winner received a fan and a hair straightener. The event takes place every year and tries to improve the inmates’ self-esteem, and let them see their families.
Difficult words: beauty pageant (an event when people try to look their best and others look and judge them), inmate (prisoner), catwalk (a stage, a platform – the area where the women walk), self-esteem (self-respect).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.