Protest against cuts – level 1
In London, people protest. They are angry. The government wants to spend less money. It wants to spend less money on people.
The protesters say that the cuts are a problem. They think that it will be a problem for some groups of people, like people who are old, ill or young. They say that it is not fair. They say that the problems come from rich people.
One protester also says that the government is wrong. The government says that most people like it. He says that people do not like the government very much.
Difficult words: protest (to say that something is wrong), government (the bosses of a country), cuts (when the government gives less money to people).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this problem?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos