Race Across Lake Baikal – level 3
Russia’s Lake Baikal, the world’s deepest lake in Siberia, is home to the annual three-day ice-on race which attracts competitors from all over the world.
Participants used skis, ice skates and bikes to make it to the other side of one of the oldest lakes in the world. With the route being 205 kilometres long, the organiser said that those competing should be able to cover at least 80 kilometres a day.
Temperatures dropped to as low as –20°C, and only two thirds of the entrants managed to finish the gruelling course. Locals won the bike and ice skating races.
Difficult words: annual (taking place every year), entrant (a person who takes part in something), gruelling (extremely tiring).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.