Robot fixes railway wires – level 3
In Japan, engineers made a giant humanoid robot looks like something out of a sci-fi movie. It is fixing railway wires that humans cannot reach.
JR West and two other companies developed the robot to perform tasks that are considered too high risk for humans. They designed the robot to lower the risk of electrocution and falling, and the company says that the robot reduces human labor by a third.
They mounted the robot on a crane, and an engineer controls it through a VR headset and remote controls. The robot can lift up special equipment of up to 40 kilograms in weight to a height of almost ten meters.
Currently, maintenance workers use it on out-of-reach railway contact lines in Japan. JR West expects to put it into full service by early 2024.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.