San Fermin Festival – level 2
The Spanish San Fermin Festival attracts 1 million visitors a year. It includes daily bull runs in the morning and bullfights in the evening.
The festival divides people into those who enjoy it and those who think that it’s just animal cruelty. Animal rights activists covered themselves in fake blood in protest. They wore nothing but black underwear, bullhorns, and carrying red buckets reading, “Pamplona: Bloodbath for Bulls.”
An animal rights organisations organised the protest. The organisation wants to bring an end to the use of bulls in Spain’s fiestas. They say that people kill or mistreat around 50 bulls every year.
Difficult words: divide (make into two groups), fiesta (a party), mistreat (treat badly).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.