San Fermin Festival – level 3
Animal rights activists have covered themselves in fake blood in Pamplona’s main square, in protest at the city’s week-long San Fermin Festival.
The Spanish festival, which attracts 1 million visitors a year from around the world, includes daily bull runs in the morning and bullfights in the evening. It has long divided people, with some revelling in the tradition and others seeing it instead as animal cruelty.
Wearing nothing but black underwear, bullhorns and carrying red buckets reading, “Pamplona: Bloodbath for Bulls,” in multiple languages, 54 protesters drenched themselves and the streets in fake blood.
The protest was organised by animal rights organisations who want to bring an end to the use of bulls in Spain’s fiestas. They say around 50 bulls are killed or mistreated over the festivities and that foreigners come to Pamplona to see a spectacle that is illegal in their own country.
The running of the bulls takes place in Pamplona every year from July 7th to 14th.
Difficult words: revel (enjoy oneself in a lively and noisy way), drench (cover in liquid), spectacle (show).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.