Sean Connery Dies – level 3
Scottish movie legend Sean Connery died aged 90.
Connery was raised in poverty in the slums of Edinburgh, Scotland, and he worked as a coffin polisher and a milkman before his bodybuilding hobby helped launch his acting career that made him one of the world’s biggest stars.
Connery shot to international stardom as the charming and sophisticated British agent James Bond which drew worldwide attention. Bond’s confident manners and dry humor crafted a depth of character that set the standard for those who followed Connery in the role, such as the British actor Daniel Craig.
Connery played a series of noteworthy roles besides James Bond. He won an academy award for his role in the 1987 movie ’The Untouchables’. In 2000, he was knighted by Queen Elizabeth II, although he was an ardent supporter of Scotland’s independence.
Difficult words: dry humor (calm, unenthusiastic humor), noteworthy (interesting or significant), knight (to award a man with the title of knight), ardent (very enthusiastic).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos