Search for extraterrestrial life – level 1
People always wonder if life is outside our planet. Many scientists want to find it.
In 1960, scientist Francis Drake uses a telescope. He hopes to find a signal from two stars. Sadly, nothing happens. Drake thinks that 10,000 other groups of life may be in space.
Scientists find one signal in the 1970s. It never happens again. Nobody knows who or what makes the signal.
These days, scientists look for exoplanets. They are planets outside our solar system. Water and the right temperature must be there for life to start.
Many people believe that aliens are here already. They believe that UFOs have aliens. They visit our planet.
Difficult words: telescope (an instrument which makes stars and other faraway objects look bigger), solar system (a system of a sun and the planets around it), UFO (an object which flies in the sky, and nobody knows what it is).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos