Skater takes illegal drug – level 3
15-year-old Russian figure skater Kamila Valieva tested positive for the banned drug trimetazidine before the Beijing 2022 Olympic Games; however, tests found the result after she helped Team Russia win the team figure skating competition.
The Russian anti-doping agency temporarily suspended Valieva and then reinstated her on February 9. The Court of Arbitration for Sport will determine if Valieva can continue to compete in Beijing in other events. A lab took the sample on December 25 last year and then reported the results on February 8. Doctors typically use the drug to treat chest pain and dizziness; however, according to the International Testing Agency, it can boost endurance and blood flow.
Valieva is the current world record holder, and she’s set nine world records in her career. The Olympic medal ceremony will wait until the court resolves the case.
Difficult words: anti-doping agency (an organization that monitors banned drugs in sports), reinstate (to return someone in a job or position), endurance (the ability to do something for a long time).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.