Snowboarder makes new moves – level 3
British snowboarder, Billy Morgan, has landed the sport’s first ever 1,800 quadruple cork.
Billy, who represented GB at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, was in Italy when he achieved the manoeuvre.
So what is the manoeuvre? Well, it involves flipping four times while the body also spins five complete rotations on a sideways or downward-facing axes.
The 26-year-old caught the attention of the snowboarding world back in 2011 when he pioneered the triple backside rodeo. He’s long been pegged as one of the athletes most likely to achieve the quad-cork and well, he did it!
Difficult words: cork (a trick in snowboarding when the person spins), GB (Great Britain), manoeuvre (a special movement), flip (to turn over), spin (to turn round quickly), axis plural: axes (an imaginary line about which a body rotates), snowboarding world (all of the people involved in snowboarding), pioneer (to be the first person to do something), rodeo (turning around an axis which is parallel to direction of the flight), peg (to regard).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos