Squirrels in the UK – level 2
The red squirrel is native to the UK, but its numbers are declining. The grey squirrel, which came from North America 150 years ago, outcompetes the red squirrel. It is bigger and it carries a deadly virus.
There are only 140,000 red squirrels in the UK. People decide to help them. The plan is to change the way the bodies work in the grey squirrels, so they will not have babies. If people do nothing, the red squirrels will die out within a generation.
Difficult words: native (an animal which is originally from a region, not moved there by people), decline (go down), outcompete (be better in living and having babies).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos