Statue of Karl Marx – level 1
Karl Marx grows up in Trier, Germany. He helps to start Communism. Now, China gives Trier a big statue of Marx. The sculptor of the statue says that it shows that Germany and China are friends.
People come to the town who like or dislike the statue. East Germans had to live under Communism after World War Two. Other people say that China is not nice to its people.
Difficult words: Communism (a government where people own everything and each person gets money based on how he works and what he needs), sculptor (a person who makes art that is three-dimensional), had to (past of ‘must’).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos