Taliban uses US vehicles and Russian helicopters – level 2
Last week, the Taliban held a military parade in Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan. Soldiers carried US weapons, drove in US military vehicles, and flew Russian helicopters above the streets.
Between 2002 and 2017, the US government sent weapons, vehicles, and aircraft to the Afghan government. For the past 20 years, Taliban soldiers fought against the Afghan government.
When the US soldiers left Afghanistan in August this year, the Taliban gained control of the country, and they took some of the weapons and vehicles. Nobody knows how many the Taliban has, but it is clear that the Taliban is building a professional army.
Difficult words: military parade (when soldiers and military cars move through a public place on a special day or event), military vehicle (a car, tank or ship which soldiers use), professional army (army of soldiers who have a training to be soldiers, and it is their job).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.