Thailand nursery shooting – level 2
Last week, a man entered a nursery in north-east Thailand and fired a gun. He killed and stabbed at least 37 people, and 23 of them were children. The incident happened while the children were sleeping.
After the attack, the man ran home to kill his family and himself. Local people rushed to a nearby hospital to donate blood for his victims.
The attacker was a 34-year-old man. He was a policeman, but in June, he lost his job because of drug use. Officials don’t know why the man attacked the nursery. People at the nursery said that he was usually friendly and talkative.
Normally 90 children were at the nursery, but only around 20 were there on Thursday. Many children didn’t come because of bad weather and a school bus was broken.
Difficult words: nursery (a school for very young children and where teachers look after them), stab (to attack someone with a knife), donate (to give something to a person who needs it, usually food or money).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos