“The Jungle” camp in Calais – level 3
French authorities have given those living in the southern part of Calais migrant camp, “the Jungle,” until Tuesday to leave or be forcibly removed. British organization the Worldwide Tribe visited Calais to find out more about the area and the changes that have occurred there.
“Here we managed to form our own community, our own family, now the government is planning to put all the refugees inside the new containers here. I see it is not quite enough for the whole population inside this camp.”
Officials plan to bulldoze the area they’ve made their home.
“They’ve built homes, they’ve built churches, they’ve built mosques, they’ve built community centres, they’ve built schools…”
“We’ve gained quite a number of unaccompanied children that have got no family here. We are very very concerned that if “the Jungle” goes, these children will be lost.”
“Long-term volunteers here have spent a lot of time trying to make this into some form of a small community and to get rid of it and make their lives havoc again…”
In protest, migrants and volunteers planted wildflower seeds in a recently demolished area of the camp.
Difficult words: forcibly (by force), unaccompanied (alone), volunteer (a person who helps without being paid anything), havoc (chaos).
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.