The taste of insects – level 3
Communities in Asia, Africa and South America consider meal worms and crickets to be superfoods, and insects are a common part of their diet.
Scientists discovered that meal worms can taste like meat when they’re cooked with sugar. Depending how you cook them, their flavor changes. A steamed meal worm gives off a sweetcorn-like aroma; however, if you roast or deep fry it, it tastes like shrimp.
Experts say that insects are a great source of protein and other nutrients, and they are much better for the planet than the traditional meat diet. Insects use up less land and water, and they produce almost no greenhouse gas emissions.
Difficult words: superfood (a food that’s considered to be especially beneficial for health), aroma (a pleasant smell), nutrient (a special ingredient in food or liquid we need for healthy growth and development).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.