Tourists will pay to visit Venice – level 3
In 2021 after travel restrictions lifted, more than 5 million people arrived in the Italian town of Venice. During 2022’s Easter weekend, 120,000 arrived.
Some tourists were particularly disrespectful: some of them swam in the lagoons, or they had picnics on top of historic monuments. The local council worked on a scheme to regulate tourism, and now starting in January 2023, tourists will pay an entry fee to access the city center. Authorities say that the main goal is to reach out to tourists instead of profit. Over 30,000 to 40,000 day-trippers visit Venice just for a few hours. Authorities want to attract those tourists who want to discover the town and fall in love with it.
The city also approved a plan to upgrade its commercial activities and to promote local artisans over cheap Chinese souvenirs, like plastic reproductions of carnival masks.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this incident?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.