Toxic Water in Fukushima – level 2
In 2011, an earthquake and a tsunami struck the Fukushima Dai-ichi nuclear power plant. Both events badly damaged three reactors, and toxic water started leaking from the reactors.
People are keeping the toxic water in 1,000 large tanks which hold more than 1 million tons of water. They have plans to build even more tanks, but there will be no more room for the tanks by 2022.
One Japanese minister said that one option is to let the toxic water go into the sea. Critics say that this will be very bad for fishing and farming. One German specialist says that the only option is to keep the water in tanks. Other experts say that the water must be let out into the ocean.
Nothing is official yet. We will have to wait and see what the Japanese government decides to do.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.