Transgender athletes cannot compete – level 3
Halba Diouf dreamed of running under France’s banner in the 2024 Olympic Games in Paris.
But as a transgender woman, her hopes were dashed in March when the World Athletics Council banned athletes like her from competing in women’s events.
21-year-old Diouf has been training hard to improve her timings in the 200-meter race. The council agreed to exclude male-to-female transgender athletes to protect the female category, a frequently used justification for the outright exclusion of trans women from athletic competitions.
Up until Worlds Athletics’ latest move, transgender female athletes could take part in top competitions as long as their levels of natural testosterone were below a certain threshold, 5 nanomoles per liter of blood. This standard was set in 2018 and female transgender athletes were recommended oral contraceptives to bring certain female athletes under the threshold; however, the regulations were widely criticized by the World Medical Association on ethical grounds.
In March 2023, regulation for natural testosterone often perceived as the sole determinant of athletic performance was halved to 2.5 nanomoles per liter of blood and must be maintained for two years.
Difficult words: dash (to hit or damage), outright (complete or immediate), threshold (the level or point at which you start to experience something).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
How will the new regulation for natural testosterone affect Diouf's future as an athlete?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos