Trump’s company in trouble – level 3
Donald Trump’s real estate company was ordered to pay a 1.61-million-dollar criminal penalty after a court convicted it of a 15-year-scheme to defraud tax authorities.
According to state law, the penalty was the maximum possible that the court could use, and the penalty was no surprise. However, it may impact other business, because it’ll be a problem for lenders.
Alan Weisselberg worked for Trump’s family for 50 years and was the company’s former CFO. Last week, the court sentenced him to five months in prison after they found him guilty of 15 criminal charges including criminal tax fraud and falsified business records.
Trump called the charges part of a witch hunt by democrats who dislike him in his politics, and his company plans to appeal.
Difficult words: defraud (to illegally take money from a person or company), falsify (to change documents or numbers), witch hunt (a campaign directed against a person or group considered dangerous and whose opinions are unpopular).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.