Turtles in the Amazon – level 2
People put thousands of tiny turtles into large water-filled containers. These Peruvian turtles waited to be released into the wild. It was part of efforts to help the species that is close to extinction.
Staff from Peru’s National Service of Natural Areas Protected by the State released about 17,000 baby turtles into the Amazon. This was part of a program to increase numbers.
The population of these turtles had been under pressure in recent years due to development and cutting trees in the region. Peru’s government classified the animals as vulnerable and officials hope that this mass release will give these turtles a better chance to survive.
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.