US companies to make chips – level 3
US semiconductor companies that want a piece of the 39-billion-dollar CHIPS Act will be required to share excess profits and explain how they plan to provide affordable childcare to employees.
This is part of the deal of accepting government funds; however, some experts worry that it could cause some apprehension from potential subsidy recipients. Since the legislation was passed in August, the tech industry has taken a hit, and it’s what drives the demand for chips.
The CHIPS Act is vital to keep the US ahead of China in global markets and reduce reliance on chips made in Taiwan. Semiconductor companies have already announced more than 40 new projects including nearly 200 billion dollars in private investments to increase domestic production. These should help the US gain pre-eminence in the semiconductor market.
Difficult words: apprehension (fear that something bad or unpleasant will happen), subsidy (money that a government pays to help an industry or business), pre-eminence (the quality of being more important or better than others).
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What is your opinion on the CHIPS Act and its effect on US semiconductor companies?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos