Very big ships – level 2
In March 2021, the Ever Given megaship was stuck in the Suez Canal for six days.
Almost 200,000 tons of cargo were on the ship, which meant that people could not get things like IKEA furniture, fruit and vegetables, or electronics in time. After the accident, people finally saw how big these ships were.
Megaships very quickly increase the number of things which they can carry. The number doubles every few years, and transportation companies do it because it makes transport cheaper. It brings more problems, too.
Bigger ships need deeper water, larger equipment, and more space in docks. These ships go slower which means that customers wait longer for things. When the weather is bad, megaships have bigger problems at sea. It happens more and more often that such big ships lose their cargo in sea. Since they go slower, pirates also attack them more often.
Difficult words: cargo (things which a ship, plane, or other vehicle carries), transport (when you take things from one place to another), dock (a place in a port to load and unload things and to repair ships).
You can watch the original video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.