“Very rude” Chinese in the UK – level 2
The Chinese President Xi Jingping visited the United Kingdom. People called the visit a great boost to UK-China relations, but later, people heard the Queen saying that the Chinese officials were “very rude”.
Her comments came just hours after Prime Minister David Cameron told the Queen that Afghanistan and Nigeria were “fantastically corrupt”.
Buckingham Palace said that it does not comment on the Queen’s private conversations, but added that the Chinese state visit was extremely successful.
Difficult words: boost (an improvement, something that helps), official (a member of the government), add (to do something extra).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos