War children of Syria – level 1
The war in Syria is now five years old. Many Syrian children know only war. They do not know peace.
They are very poor and they need help. These children do not know about school.
Some children leave Syria with their families. They live in other places. Some have to stay in Syria.
People hope the ceasefire will keep going. The ceasefire will keep the children safe.
People worry about this generation of Syrian children. They worry what will happen to them when they grow up.
Difficult words: peace (the opposite of war), ceasefire (when people in a war agree not to fight), generation (people born at one time).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about the situation for the Syrian children?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.
- Choose one person from the Skype section.
- Talk with this person. You can answer questions from Speak in Levels.
Stock images by Depositphotos