Water Buffalo Fighting Festival – level 3
Vietnam’s annual water buffalo fighting festival resumed after a three-month long hiatus following the killing of a buffalo owner on the fighting field. Around 20,000 spectators flocked to see 16 buffaloes lock horns in the festival finals.
Many critics call for the controversial tradition to have a ban, seeing it as cruel, but a local fan who talked to the media thinks that it would be hard to stop. He is proud of the event and hopes that it will last. He understands that some people disagree because it is violent, but he believes that that is how life is.
In accordance with tradition, people slaughter all losing buffaloes at the end of the festival, and the winning buffalo’s reward is to be a sacrifice to God the next day. The winning buffalo’s owner was feeling very sad for losing something so dear to him, but he knew that there was nothing that he could do, as this is a tradition that has lasted for generations.
You can watch the video news lower on this page.
What do you think about this news?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the questions under today’s news and write them in the comments.
- Chat in our Facebook Group for 2 minutes. You can write about today’s news.