Whales in Calais – level 1
This new is about whales. Ten whales get on a beach. They get stuck. This beach is in France, in the region of Calais.
People come to the whales. When they come, 6 of the whales are dead. People try to save the rest. They put water on them. They try to move them to the sea. Three whales go back to the sea and live.
Difficult words: whale (a big animal which lives in the sea), stuck (cannot move), the rest (the other four whales).
You can read the original story and watch the video in the Level 3 section.
What do you think about this news about the whales?
LEARN 3000 WORDS with NEWS IN LEVELS
News in Levels is designed to teach you 3000 words in English. Please follow the instructions
How to improve your English with News in Levels:
- Do the test at Test Languages.
- Go to your level. Go to Level 1 if you know 1-1000 words. Go to Level 2 if you know 1000-2000 words. Go to Level 3 if you know 2000-3000 words.
- Read two news articles every day.
- Read the news articles from the day before and check if you remember all new words.
- Listen to the news from today and read the text at the same time.
- Listen to the news from today without reading the text.
- Answer the question under today’s news and write the answer in the comments.